Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What Being A Mom Has Taught Me.... So Far

   Being a mom is a job, being a mom is a choice, and being a mom is something that you work at every single day. Like any important role in life, being a mom is something you learn from, something that changes you, hopefully for the better. Being a mom is a work in progress; you don't have to be perfect, but you do have to be willing to learn and willing to put in the time, tears, joy, and effort.
   My child is not grown, and even when she is grown, I suspect I will always be learning from her and helping her to grow. All I need to do is look at my own mom, who took me back in when I had nowhere else to go and was at one of the darkest points in my life. So I imagine, no - I know- that this list is not complete. There will be things that are missing, because my daughter is only 10 going on 11. I am far from done. But I do feel that I can put out this list, because being a mom has taught me some of the most important lessons of life that I have learned thus far. So here is the list of things that being a mom has taught me, and remember, I don't put things in order, ever:
  1. Nothing is better than spending a Saturday with your child doing things that people say will rot your brain (i.e. watching too much TV and gamer marathons) 
  2. There is never going to be enough money so learn to make things last, make things stretch, and get creative. 
  3. If you don't put your child first, they are not going to put you first either. This includes putting your child over jobs, school, and other people.
  4. Read a lot, and make books available to your child, because reading is really important, especially once they start school.
  5. Find the people who will be there for you through thick and thin, because you are going to need them. 
  6. Don't forget to be the person who is there for someone else through thick and thin. Make sure your child is one of those people you will always be there for.
  7. Kids' cartoons today suck so make sure you buy them some Looney Tunes and Animaniacs on DVD (or Blu-ray). 
  8. A happy home trumps a clean house -- don't stress over the toys on the floor, the dishes in the sink,  that pile of dirty clothes, and that layer of dust. Just don't let things get moldy.
  9. Teach your kids manners and how to behave because no one is going to like your kid if they are rude-ass little shits who are climbing up the walls and beating up all the other kids. 
  10. Let your child be different than you - they are not carbon copies. 
  11. Keep an open mind and an open heart. 
  12. You aren't going to like all of their friends. If the friends aren't taking your kids down the path of drug abuse and other bad stuff, just keep your mouth shut. Do you really think it's likely that your kid likes all of your friends?
  13. Listen to the things you kids have to say. 
  14. Work hard, but play often.
  15. Pay attention.
  16. There is not enough sleep in the world and coffee is a necessity. 
  17. Make sure your child always knows that they can come talk to you about anything, and that you will believe them and be on their side if someone is being mean to them and/or hurting them. 
  18. Be a tiger when it comes to protecting your child.
  19. People are going to judge. Learn not to care. 
  20. Try to be the best person you can. Yes, you will mess up, but deal with your messes and be someone that you want your child to be, because they are always watching their Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment