Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Wandering Ramble From Marie

   Adjusting to my new sleep schedule has been difficult, to say the least. I guess that some  people don't have a lot of trouble, but I have never slept well in the first place. Getting to sleep can be extremely difficult for me, and once I wake up, even if I just wake up two hours later, getting back to sleep can be impossible. I actually woke up the other night at 10 pm, and couldn't get back to sleep all that night, and at 5 am, I had to give up the quest for those longed for zzzzz's and get my daughter ready for school. Then I had to go to work. That day sucked. So much that I have decided that I need some help regulating my sleeping patterns so that I can stop feeling like a zombie and start feeling like myself again (I won't say normal here, because we all know that I am not going to act normal.)
   Other than that, not much else has been going on. My daughter is getting adjusted to her new school schedule, and as usual, my worrywart fears were not founded. She has not been picked on in her new school, we had no problems with the bus, and she is happy and excited. She is eagerly awaiting the club sign-up sheets because she would like to join some after school clubs, something made possible by the school's willingness to provide an activity bus that takes all the kids home after the day's activities. How awesome is that?
    I can't really understand why my daughter wants to stay at school LONGER however. Of course, I am not going to discourage this, because joining these clubs is something that is going to look nice on a college application one day. Never too early to start planning for that. But her reasoning is a) she likes to learn and b) she is a really social kid. How in the hell did someone as antisocial as I am end up with a social butterfly of a kid is something that I will never understand, but that is what happened. Not really complaining, because I have to deal with things like crippling stage fright and an extreme dislike towards being the center of attention in a crowd of strangers and she does things like willingly join choir and sing in front of said strangers. Not for the faint of heart, I can tell you that.
   As for the rest of life, well, work is work. I'm grateful to have a job, but nothing worth blogging about has happened. I just float along in a sleepless, zombie-like daze, which hopefully these melatonin supplements will help eradicate some of that. Why melatonin and not an over-the-counter sleep aid? Well, when I was talking to a friend about that very issue, she mentioned that sleep aids could sometimes show up as a false positive on a drug test. In the very first month that I started writing blogs, I wrote a little piece about my company's love of incessantly drawing my name for drug tests, which makes the possibility of a false positive a big no-no. Just a little information for you, because  I googled this info, and found numerous websites that confirmed the fact that yes, some over-the-counter sleep aids can cause false positives on drug tests. And we all know that everything that we read on the internet is true.
    While I have you believing that, I also want to tell you that when cats get older, they turn into walruses, and that is why they have pointy teeth; those teeth turn into tusks. Believe it or not, when we were very young, I did convince my little sister that this was truth, and she was afraid of cats for a while. But I digress, and back to the sleeping aid issue, whether this is truth or not, I don't think the risk is worth it. And  I am not going to a doctor to find out, because I avoid doctors the same way most people avoid rabid dogs.
   Also, I recently turned 32. However, while I hope that I will age gracefully and never become some bitter, youth-chasing crone, neither do I actually enjoy aging. So I don't age; I level up. Happy level-up day to me; happy day to all of ya'll as well. May you all manage to sleep well tonight, because that's what I am sure hoping for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment