Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day Off? More Like Alternative Work Day

   I've been getting a lot of hours lately -- which is not written as a complaint because I need my hours. However, I will state for the record that I am positive the CEOs of my grocery store chain are time wizards straight out of some fantasy story, because time STOPS while I am at work. I will be checking, and checking, and checking, ringing up lines and lines of people, and when I look at the clock, sure that at least an hour has passed, I find that barely fifteen minutes has gone by. How is that possible? My vote is time wizards.  But time wizards aside, I am used to having more time off, and now I have less. And my to-do list is getting longer and longer and longer. Of course, there is the usual things, like that never-ending pile of laundry, the fact that my kitchen floor is questionable, and the dust that I try to ignore with all my might.Those who knew me as a teenager might be surprised that I even know how to clean -- my bedroom used to be a sea of decay. Those days are long past though, and while I will never be the female version of Mr. Clean (thank God), I do like things to be livable. So no sea of decay.
   But other things are stacking up as well. School is just around the bend, so I have to get all of my daughter's school stuff ready, and I need to call the school and talk to someone because I have a small issue that I need help resolving. Not only is my daughter starting a new school year, but she is starting a new school and I am not ready to be the mother of a middle school girl (Junior High in some places, middle school here). Not only am I mentally not prepared, but I also just plain-out don't have all the things she'll need and I need to update her shot records and a million other things.
    Vacation is coming up, and I need to get the rest of the things I need (bug spray!) for two weeks in Yellowstone and we need to get reservations straightened out and I need to notify my bank and credit card companies that I am going traveling, so could they please not freeze my card when I start making out-of-state purchases? That would suck. I also need to go to the apartment office and let them know that I will be gone for two weeks, because they like to know this in case something comes up.
    I can go on with this list of stuff that needs to be done, and honestly, the laundry is the one thing that tends to weigh on my mind the most, because I hate laundry with a passion that beats all other passions. But what I really need to do with my day off is actually get some rest because my stomach has been waging war on me, but I just don't think that this is going to happen. My days off are only days off from my cashier job. My mom job, my head-of-household job, the many hats that I have to wear to keep things trucking along, all these jobs are all waiting for me. Lurking in the shadows, just waiting to pounce. Day off? Don't make me laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment